Mama's Shepherd's Pie
If you’ve come by our store you’ve probably met the man himself, with his height you can’t miss him!! Matt is the guy behind Backyard Grills! What started out as a hobby back in 2016 has flourished into this amazing brand that he’s built from the ground up!
He is your go-to guy for all things BBQ! This man is a wealth of knowledge that can & will talk your ear off about everything barbeque! He only brings in the best for our clients and it never ceases to amaze me how good of a cook he is! I mean have you seen his posts? Make sure you like & Follow him!
This recipe that he’s sharing with us is one of his favourite recipes. Believe it or not, it's actually older than he is. (we’ll keep his age on the DL tho.) This recipe was passed down from his amazing mom who's also a genie in the kitchen! Gosh, I wish I had their creative minds in the kitchen! Maybe if we coerce him he’ll share it with me! Haha
Mama’s Shepherd's Pie
What you’ll need:
- 1 ½ lb of Ground beef (Extra Lean or Ground Sirloin)
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 450 ml Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- Drain the liquid of the Chopped Tomatoes into a measuring cup - top up with water to reach 1 cup.
- 1 Can Corn (Drained)
- ½ Cup Roasted Red Pepper (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 4 Tsp Chili Powder
- ¼ Tsp Pepper
- ½ Tsp Oregano
- ½ Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Mashed Potatoes
- To make 3 Cups of Mashed Potatoes:
- Cook 5-6 Potatoes in Salted boiling water for 20-30 minutes
- Mash potatoes with 1-2 Tbsps of Butter & ¼ Cup of warm Milk.
- Preheat your Traeger to 350°F with Hickory Pellets.
- In a Cast iron pan on the grill fry and Brown the ground beef, place in a bowl lined with a paper towel.
- Fry the onion in 2 tsp oil OR Duck Fat & add Garlic
- After 5 minutes add the ground beef, Salt & Pepper and spices.
- Stir well and add tomatoes, tomato paste & Liquid. Cook for 5-10 minutes, then add corn.
- Spray your pan or dish with Duck Fat, pour in the beef mixture and spread evenly. Top with Mashed potatoes and spread evenly.
- Place in the Traeger the cook for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes sprinkle on some parmesan cheese and bake for 10 additional minutes.
- Remove from the grill and rest for 5-10 minutes and it's ready to be served.
If you’re a sucker for Shepherd's pie you’re not gonna want to pass up this recipe! It’s a classic in any household and well hands down super easy to make! Throw in that nice smoky flavour from a Traeger for the cherry on top!